What it means “Yoga off the mat?”
When you don’t have time for on the mat (practice) reason may vary person to person. The other crucial part is how to carry essence of yoga out of the yoga class or yoga practice. How to live yoga instead of how to do Yoga? Because yoga is a lifestyle and not a mere practice. Experiencing inner Yoga, balancing oneself physically, mentally and emotionally.
Ways to Practice Yoga off the Mat
- Practicing one Yama (Social behaviour) daily. Five Yama’s are Ahimsa– Non-violence Satya – Truthfulness Brahmacharya– Control of the senses and celibacy Asteya – Non-stealing Aparigraha – Non-covetousness and non-acceptance of gifts. Yama is 1st limb out eight limbs of Ashtanga yoga by Sage Patanjali.
- Eight limbs are Yama – Social behaviour, the five restraints or the “don’ts , Niyama – Self-discipline, the five observances or the “do’s”, Asana – Steady posture, Pranayama – Control of prana or life force, Pratyahara- Withdrawal of the senses , Dharana – Concentration, Dhyana – Meditation & Samadhi – Super-conscious state
- Think simple, and start simple. I remember my teacher saying that start practicing above (Yama & Niyama) as soon as possible & as much as possible. Set realistic goals. And 1 % theory is as important as 99% particle (Guru Pattabhi Jois). Theory should reflect in Asana practice as well as in our behaviour and in daily works (Karma Yoga) also.
- Practice Aparigraha meansnot taking or storing more than one needs. Cultivate art of donating to the needy human beings. Before we learn to let go the emotions we should let go the unnecessary things which no longer serves us.
- First thing when wake up if not in emergency for nature call remember God, your ancestors, parents or chant mantra of your own choice, pay gratitude & be grateful for the blessings. Feel that you have divinity spark with in.
- Breathing, awareness & focus are key in Yoga practice. Practice it throughout the day take pause deep breath in and respond instead of reactions. As we set alarm for waking up set reminder in mobile for deep breathing
- As you learn alignment and adjustments in yoga practice. Learn and absorb the lessons life is giving you only just stay positive will not work.
- Quantum theory proves that we all are interconnected what we are spreading or giving will get back us. So spread love. Honour & respect divinity in each &every soul.
“A balanced inner calmness radiates from a peaceful centre. It neither craves others’ approval nor rejects others’ presence. It neither pulls towards nor pushes away. It has a reverent attitude towards life and all its inhabitants.”
― Donna Goddard, The Love of Devotion